Friday 5 September 2014

Striking Mums – stand out as the individual you are

This is my first ever linky and it's for Striking Mums (via Kate on Thin Ice - I've only just noticed the pun!). Sadly, it isn't about starting a picket line on the pavement outside your house, 'no more washing', 'get your own crackers'. More of a help yourself and others towards self help and a bit of blowing your own trumpet. 

 The title of this post really hit me and stuck out in the Striking Mums explanation, mind you, I have pink hair and a penchant for slightly offbeat stuff, so go figure!


I am a mum (all of the time!), but I am also a lot of other things and I have a lot of skills that I really don't give myself credit for. This post is about me, not my mental health or the three fellas in my life. 

I'm a great cook, my baking is reasonable enough and I love cooking. As a mum of two, I do not find time to cook proper meals enough (ever). I'm sure that this will improve as time goes on and we share mealtimes (rather than the boys eating at 5 and us eating at 7). 

I have a number of childrens' picture books memorised. It's brilliant, I used to recite 'Peepo' by Alan Ahlberg to N when he was tiny, and it used to calm him down when he had worked himself into a lather. 

I'm a staunch feminist: women deserve equal footing in the world, I am grateful for what I have, as a woman in the UK. I am grateful to have a career, to have an amazing husband and to have my children. However, I believe that the battle isn't own until girls can safely get home after a night out without fear of predatory men and that countries where women are oppressed have a great deal of work to do - women are about half of the population, and we do 99% of the work towards procreation. 
Feminism : Credit where credit is due. 

This week, I have been proactive and texted 2 friends who I have put off seeing while I have been ill. This will be brilliant for my self confidence and for rebuilding my social circle and support network. 

Kate on thin Ice Striking Mums











7 comments:

  1. Thanks for becoming a Striking Mum. Great to find your blog and to discover more about you. I like offbeat and I like women who care about other women getting a fairer deal. I too like baking/cookery but often don't feel up to doing it as much as I once did and miss it. Have also had my emotional troubles. Great to have you as part of what I am hoping will become a very supportive team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for striking mums! It's a really good idea, about mums as people rather than as carers

      Delete
  2. I too love baking and cooking and look forward to reading your posts in the future x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking is just the simplest way to please people, isn't it? Cook for yourself or others, you don't need praise, an empty plate speaks more loudly! :)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to reading future posts! It's great that you see what you are capable of; You are woman, hear you roar! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading more about you #StrikingMums

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you on board! I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you - it sounds as though you are going to be flying our flag high! Can totally relate to the mealtime issue - I got good at it & have lapsed again now with our new routine so I will have to take note of your example!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and it's nice to be nice.